Most of my Blog posts this month will be focused on nutrition since it is National Nutrition month!
Recently, I was with a friend, Sussanna Czeranko, ND who had made these very delicious “Power Balls” for our road trip. They are simple and quick to make and packed with healthy fats sure to give you the energy you need! Recipe is derived from Canadian Naturopathic colleague, Dr. Lise Maltais. Paleo-friendly!
Lise’s Power Balls
- 1 cup Nuts (I used ½ cup macadamia and ½ cup walnut)
- 6 each Medjool Dates
- 3 Tbsp. Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds (I use Hemp Hearts)
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- ½ cup Almond Meal (you can easily make this your self – take a cup of raw almonds and process in food process until you have a flour-type consistency)
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
In a food processor, combine nuts and pulse until well chopped up. Add the dates (without seeds!) and pulse again until well blended with nuts. Add the hemp and pulse, briefly. Finally add the coconut oil and process it all together until you get a very well blended mixture.
Transfer contents of food processor to a sealed glass container to chill for an hour/two (you want the mixture to be slightly stiff, so that you can roll out small balls). Once chilled make the balls and roll in the almond meal or the shredded coconut, or a mixture of the two (almond and coconut).
Refrigerate until firm. Enjoy!
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts contain significant amounts of Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin B-6, Calcium, and Iron. These two types of nuts are high in fat and contain some protein. Fats are needed in the diet for the following:
- A source of energy
- As an energy store
- Growth development and cell function
- Proper functioning of nerves and the brain
- Maintaining healthy skin and other tissues
- Transporting fat-soluble vitamins, like Vitamins A, D, E, and K
- Forming steroids